Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Podcast (Text)

In this podcast, I would like to consider the claim that it is impossible for a Christian to vote with a clear conscience for a pro-life candidate.

Are more Christians Democrats or Republicans?

Are Democrats or Republicans more Christian?

When I was in high school, my Mom observed that young people tend to be very liberal or very conservative, but moderate their views as they age.

This is consistent with my experience. As I've read through the Bible many times, especially the Old Testament, I've become more liberal in my thinking on some issues.

I believe that the murder of the unborn is a sin. Killing babies is barbaric.

But I also believe that murder of the living is a sin. Basing a war upon fabricated evidence is barbaric.

President Obama does not accept that life begins at conception. Therefore, in his mind abortion is not immoral. I do not agree with his conclusion, but his perspective is internally consistent.

President Bush did not accept that lying is wrong if the war is just. Therefore, in his mind the Iraq War is not immoral. I do not agree with his conclusion, but his perspective is internally consistent.

The uncomfortable life-and-death question that faced Christians in this presidential election was not simply, "Which candidate is pro-life?" but also, "Whose life is more valuable, an unborn American child or an innocent Iraqi civilian?"

In my reading of the Bible, the answer is that all humans are created in the image of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment