Saturday, November 29, 2008

Outline of Ruth

Since I finished up my 45-week first year plan with a few weeks to spare, I have the opportunity to do some additional, unscheduled Bible study.

Here's an outline of the book of Ruth:

  1. Naomi's Awful Time
    1. Her husband dies
    2. Her sons both die
  2. Ruth's Stubborn Streak
    1. Get out of here, Ruth
    2. No way, I'm with you forever, Naomi
    3. No, seriously, go back to your family and gods
    4. "Your people are my people, and your God is my God."
  3. Naomi and Ruth return to Naomi's Hometown
    1. Ruth scavenges from a harvested field
    2. Boaz guarantees Ruth's safety
    3. Boaz is generous to Ruth and Naomi
  4. Boaz is a Kinsman-Redeemer
    1. Naomi directs Ruth to pursue Boaz
    2. Ruth agrees to this plan
      1. Ruth gets dressed up
      2. Ruth goes to the threshing floor
      3. Boaz drinks a lot and goes to bed
      4. Ruth turns up the cloak over Boaz's feet
      5. Boaz wakes up and thanks Ruth for her request
  5. Boaz negotiates with a closer kinsman-redeemer
    1. There is property of Elimelech, Naomi's late husband, for sale
    2. I'll buy it
    3. Then you also inherit Naomi's widowed daughter-in-law. Her children will be credited to Elimelech's son, not you.
    4. Then you buy the land, Boaz. This situation will put my own property at risk.
    5. Cool. Hand me your sandal in the sight of these ten witnesses.
    6. Deal!
  6. Ruth Marries Boaz
    1. They have a son, Jesse
    2. Jesse has a son, King David
    3. David is in the line of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment