Monday, April 7, 2008

1 John 5:3-5

In verses 3-5, John writes, "This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God" (NIV).

I believe that Jesus is the Son of God! So why do I feel like the world is overcoming me so much of the time?

Fortunately, it is true that the more I learn about Jesus, the lighter his commands become. Doing the right thing gets easier as I am obedient, not more difficult.

I see this principle at work among my students. There is a snowball effect when a student heads down the wrong path. It's much easier to continue doing the right thing you've always done than it is to switch gears and direction and get back on track. Momentum is not only a physical law, it appears to be a moral law as well!

I've experienced this truth in my own life. Doing the right thing is easier when I've already begun doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment