Friday, April 11, 2008

In Memoriam

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13, NIV).

My dad and I just had a weepy moment remembering my younger brother. He passed away a few months ago.

Without the hope described in the Bible, there would be no place to go with our sorrow.

Some people use this Truth as a reason to discount Christian faith. They say that it's just wishful thinking.

But these are the same people who call hell unimaginable. They insist that hell can't exist because it's too harsh and unfair.

Which is it, wishful thinking or inhumane?

Eternal life is neither. It simply ups the ante and makes our decisions here on earth more important.

I say that people who discount eternal life simply want to avoid accountability. And what do they get in return? No comfort in loss. No security in a loving God.

That's too high a price for me to pay to ignore the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment