Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day of the Lord

Paul describes the "Day of the Lord," or one of multiple "Days of the Lord," in verses 1-8.

Both well-meaning Christians and evil cults flipped out before Y2K. Although the historical analysis of Y2K is rational and focused on a technical issue of computer programming, the reality is that people were very nervous about watching the date flip over from 1-9-9-9 to 2-0-0-0.

The "Left Behind" series feeds into this fear and morbid curiosity surrounding the end of time.

Paul strikes a delicate balance between an unhealthy focus on the future at the expense of the present, and an unhealthy ignorance of the Truth about the end of human history.

As I witness to my friends, I need to strike this balance, too. Lord, please help me learn better how to share the Bible's teaching on the end of time. Help me relate this to the reality of death.

I see! This is a breakthrough connection for me. Jesus resurrected. Every deceased individual will resurrect at the end of time, too.

If I simply make this belief explicit, then the Holy Spirit can work on my friends' hearts. It's not my job to convince them of this reality, simply to state its existence clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment