Friday, August 22, 2008

Whirlwind Wrap-Up of Mark 4

In verses 26-29, Jesus explains that the Kingdom of God grows mysteriously, just like a farmer's seed. It is not my job to explain Jesus' success but to help gather a harvest.

Then, in verses 30-32, Jesus elegantly describes his Kingdom as a mustard seed.  This is a simple way of saying that Christian faith began tiny but became huge.  What in my life starts tiny and seems to take on a life of its own?

Finally, in verses 35-41, Jesus freaks out his disciples by yelling at a dangerous storm to make it stop.  Cool!

I skipped verse 33-34 because it appeared to be a parenthetical comment about Jesus' use of parables.  Jesus' message is mysterious.  There is value in sharing lessons in a way that can only be decoded by the faithful.  How can this apply to my teaching at church?  Is it applicable to my teaching at school?  I don't think so, but I may be missing an important detail here.

No comments:

Post a Comment