Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Anointing with oil. Sounds sticky!

I have a hard time imagining the significance of anointing with oil. The United States has never had a king or any sort of royalty. I've never seen an anointing ceremony in the public realm.

However, I do remember seeing new elders at a former church being anointed, and I myself was anointed a few times during regularly-scheduled healing services.

When I imagine a biblical anointing, I picture a large amount of oil running down a person's hair, dripping off his ears and face. I don't know if this is how it happened, though.

John uses a common association in 2:20, describing receiving the Holy Spirit as an anointing.

I will do some study this week on anointing with oil and consider what this teaches me about the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment