Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sin and Me

In 1 John 1:8, John states clearly that if we claim to be without sin, we've fooled ourselves. He goes on to say that the truth is not in us. That's a terrible place to be!

The contrapositive (and logical equivalent) of this verse is, "If we are truthful with ourselves and have the truth in us, then we will admit we have sin."

I hate admitting that I am sinful and, even worse, that I have sin inside me. But when I am honest and have a clear view of myself, this is true.

It is only because of Jesus' amazing sacrifice that I can even stand in my own presence. Otherwise, I'd be overwhelmed with my sinfulness and separation from the truth.

It would be interesting to survey people at random and ask the question, "On a scale from 0-10, how much truth is in you?"

Is it possible for a non-Christian to answer this question honestly and give a value above zero? In a salvation sense, I don't think so. But in a moral sense, I think it's possible.

So what? I'll need to reflect upon this idea further.

No comments:

Post a Comment