Thursday, January 10, 2008

1 Thessalonians 1:7-8

In 1 Thessalonians 1:7-8, Paul describes the following step-by-step process:

1. The Thessalonian church became a public example
2. People all over Greece heard about their witness
3. Their reputation has spread "all over the world"

Clearly, Paul is complimenting the church in Thessaloniki for living out the Christian life in a way that other people noticed.

I have many initial thoughts and reactions to this idea:

* Didn't Jesus warn us against taking other people's opinions too seriously?
* With the internet and mass media, how are reputations created throughout the world today?
Response: I believe that reputations are still created based upon character, not glitz and psychology. Popularity is a very different measure than reputation. For instance, Billy Graham is not popular among atheists, but his reputation is stellar.
Thought: What is my reputation?
The flaw with this question is that reputation is based upon other people's opinions. So how do I focus upon God's evaluation of my character, and not other people's? It's impossible not to take other people seriously. And doesn't God put people in our lives who can help us grow?

When I work with summer school students, I often find that many of them have chosen poor models to follow. A key is not focusing inwardly. That's God's job to evaluate me. Instead, what is useful is continuing to seek other people who model the Christian life.

In Acts 24, Paul makes a public defense of his faith. In verse 16, he says, "I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man." This is a great way to develop a positive reputation.

Interestingly, the last thing Paul says in this speech is, "It is concerning the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today."

This is the same theme he uses to end each chapter of 1 Thessalonians. I wonder if this is the truth most easily-rejected, the stumbling block, that prevents people today from becoming Christians?

No comments:

Post a Comment