Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Timothy's Visit and Purpose

Paul explains to the Thessalonians that, "We wanted him [Timothy] to make you strong in your faith and to encourage you."

We cannot grow spiritually in isolation.

Paul had a direct experience with Jesus.

We learn, in 1 Timothy 1:18-19, that Timothy received prophesies about his future service. I wonder what exactly this means.

The only prophetic word I remember receiving is from Chris D. at a former church, who said each time I spoke that she saw me serving as a pastor someday.

It's nice having that sort of encouragement, but I wonder where to go with this information. I love teaching, and I've accumulated too much debt to become a pastor! Maybe this is an opportunity to explore after I've retired from public service. Hmmm...

I have received spiritual encouragement from dozens of people. I am surrounded by a "great cloud of witnesses." Hebrews 11:1-12:1 gives me great encouragement. I can add many names to the list in Hebrews 11 from my personal experience.

As I pray today, I will include thanks to God for the people he has placed in my life who have helped me to grow spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment